Monday, February 15, 2010

Ba ba baba ba ba ba dum dum dudum ba ba dum ba ba dum dum dum

Um, that was the Olympic theme...

Because I am hardcore and because I am crazy and because what better thing to do when you just started a giant sweater project than to start another project, I signed up for the 2010 Knitting Olympics.

(I will admit, I cast on during the opening ceremonies at 10pm EST because I couldn't take casting on at midnight when the flame was lit when I had a 15 hr work day to look forward to the next morning.  But, the rules clearly state to cast on between 6-8pm PST.)  

Anywho, my project is Outside In by Janice Kang.  17 days.  2 new techniques (2 at a time on one circular and an afterthought heel).  1 crazy goal to finish before the flame goes out.

 
Just starting out during the opening ceremonies (I think this is some IOC address)

 
 
Progress thus far
 
The glorious inside of the Outside In socks

Random notes:  
1. There is a big difference between size US 1 2.25mm (what the pattern called for) and size US 1 2.5mm (what I have) needles.  After 4 rows, the sock was clearly going to be giant (and I was already making the medium size) so I managed to whittle down each sock by 8 stitches over the next few rows and am now knitting the small size (for my size 8 1/2 - 9 feet).  The beauty of this is that the tops of the socks will not be too tight around my legs.  Bonus.
2. For some reason (probably because it was near midnight when I checked the pattern) I thought the pattern said the cuff was 15 rows.  When I went to start the leg, I noticed it was actually only 12 rows.  Valuable time has been lost!
3. Only a few snafus so far - mostly 1/2 of one sock where I forgot all decreases for a row, but then made up for it later.
4.  This 2 at a time sock thing is pretty darn awesome.
5.  Sometimes I miss my DPNs.  But I do not miss Second Sock Syndrome.
6.  That is all.  Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment